Monday, January 14, 2008

Dreaming of Hummingbirds

I love those little birdies. They gracefully frolic from bright blossom to another, sipping delicately the nectar of the feast. They are talebearers of the route of evanescence, our own vapored existance, as they appear suddenly to awaken us and then we blink and they are gone.

Most have flown south for the winter, and it is during these cold months, with its week long stretches of low clouds and steel grey skies, that I most crave their resplendent color and vigorous and dexterous motion; to partake of their exhuberant dance with fields of beauty. A testimony... to remind me...

See... the smallest of God's creatures reminds me of the hurried task of life: the eating, the working, the living. They also remind me of the exodus from these earthly bodies that will occur, and quickly; even surpassing the speed of their tiny wings in flight. And how profoundly poetic the dance between the two...

Thankfully, being online I can view some excellent photos of hummingbirds on this site, and think of warmer weather with my tiny friends. And perhaps we'll add Emily Dickinson's poem about hummingbirds to our poetry recitations:


Within my Garden, rides a Bird


Within my Garden, rides a Bird
Upon a single Wheel --
Whose spokes a dizzy Music make
As 'twere a travelling Mill --

He never stops, but slackens
Above the Ripest Rose --
Partakes without alighting
And praises as he goes,

Till every spice is tasted --
And then his Fairy Gig
Reels in remoter atmospheres --
And I rejoin my Dog,

And He and I, perplex us,
If positive, 'twere we --
Or bore the Garden in the Brain
This Curiosity --

But He, the best Logician,
Refers my clumsy eye --
To just vibrating Blossoms!
An Exquisite Reply!


Some other great hummingbird resources to peruse:

Hummingbird Society (join this great society and peruse this site to get great information and help save endangered hummingbirds...)

Hummingbird World

The Hummingbird Website

Journey North - (DON'T miss this site with maps for tracking the migration of these little beauties. Just look at how far their journey is! ) There is also a companion Teaching Resources Manual for some great ideas for library resources, writing exercises, and more!

Hummer Bird Study Group

Hummingbird.net





Shalom,

Carla Lynne

4 comments:

Connie Peterson said...

I love hummingbirds, too. Almost as much as butterflies. They both remind me of my sister, Cara. And bring joy to my heart!

Love you ........... Grandma

jewelry said...

I like your site!! I invite you to take a tour on my jewelry website, and if should more information is required. http://www.or-jewelry.com

Martina said...

Hi Carla Lynne this site is very nice and this is my first comment for me wish he all the best.

Martina said...

Hi Carla Lynne this site is very nice and this is my first comment for me wish he all the best.