Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Q & A- April 30, 2008

I'm working my way... ever so slowly...through emails and letters....

Which oil is best… organic, expeller-pressed or cold pressed? - J.M. in OK

Actually, cold pressed oils are simply oils that have been expeller pressed at a much lower temperature (I believe it is 120 degrees) that preserves the flavor of the nut/seed, and does not change the chemical makeup of the oil.

Most conventional oils are obtained by methods that use chemicals to remove the oil from the nut/seed, and at very high temperatures, which changes the oil’s molecular status.

If you can not find organic cold pressed, go with the organic expeller pressed. Avoid conventional oils that are obtained using the harsh chemicals in the process of extraction.


**************************************

I noticed in your laundry detergent recipes, you do you not suggest Fels Naptha for making homemade laundry detergent. Do you have another brand to suggest? Ivory or something along those lines?

My goal is to make my products as natural as possible. And if making it as natural as possible is the goal, Fels Naptha is not all that natural.

Fels Naptha of old was used at a time when everyone's soaps were just tallow and lye based soaps. Fels Naptha came on the scene and provided superior stain removal capabilities. However, now owned by the DIAL corporation, Fels Naptha listsas its ingredients cleaners, stain and soil removers, chelating agents, perfumes, and petrochemicals. These are chemicals we are trying to avoid!!!

I use shredded soaps from my Shade Tree Cottage soaps, as these are completely natural. I'll be offering shredded soap packages in the store soon.

As an aside, Fels Naptha is a folk remedy for poison ivy. Breaks through the oils of the plant on the skin to prevent outbreak/rash. But DO NOT USE for bathing....


********************************************
You've mentioned peak oil and our addiction to petroleum products before. Do you have any good sites or resources to suggest for me to teach my children about it? I think now, with the price of oil and all the talk about us running out, is a good time for us to teach something about it in our homeschool. Any help would be appreciated... Tanya in WI

I would suggest you read this informative website for a primer, and then perhaps do a google search for petrolism (the term used to describe our dependence on petroleum and the use of profits from the sale of petrol to fund terrorist/unfriendly governments policies and plans). It is a very interesting subject, and can be easily explored in your world government or modern history portions of your homeschool.

******************************************

My son is interested in an environmentally friendly job where he can put his conservation and faith into action. He is the one who showed me your blog, and I'm interested to find out what you think of this? He wants very much to work in field versus legislative or bureaucratic. His science grades are phenomenal, and I have no doubt he will use his talents for the glory of God. Do you have any suggestions for curriculum or good books for his last two years of high school (I homeschool my seven children), and any job suggestions too?


You must be very proud of your son for showing such maturity, and may I give a pat on the back for allowing your child the room to bloom! My obvious suggestions would be load up on the sciences- any and all including biology, chemistry, physics, and even astronomy. Perhaps even add environmental engineering to the list. Also, find out if you can enroll in your local community college during his last two years. Many colleges allow you to take courses (cheaper than universities) and they count for both high school credit and college credits. I would also have him read about ecology and biographies of naturalists. Some of the best books I would suggest would be those by Wendell Berry, John Muir, J. J Audubon, John Burroughs, Thoreau, and even Rachel Carson.

Related work and employment is almost too numerous to mention. One of the best resources I've found is the Environmental Job Listings website or you can look up horticultural jobs or research WWOOF jobs. I am researching both for future workamping and garden work.

Hope this helps, and God bless!!!

********************************************

I want to increase my family’s intake of dark, leafy green veggies, but it is really hard to make them eat them. They complain they are bitter and chewy. I am going to be getting huge amounts of unusual greens from our own garden, and now belong to our local CSA. Can you help me come up with a way to get them to eat them, and if not too hard, make it taste good?

You didn’t mention whether you are steaming, stir-frying, baking, or eating them raw. All of those ways are great ways to incorporate those dark and leafy green vegetables.

Try stealthing them into your pizza or spaghetti sauces, chopped if necessary. I make this awesome spanikopita with green leafy vegetables that is out of this world. Or perhaps chopped, you can add them to your frittatas. You can also put them in baked lasagna, or try adding them to your juicing protocols. Apples and bananas hide the bitterness of the ‘green leafys’ very well in juices.

Here’s my favorite way to enjoy greens with any meal, takes about fifteen minutes to make, and it is absolutely delicious. I also sometimes serve this as a meal with a plate of cheeses, or some fresh baked focaccia with organic extra virgin olive oil for dipping.


Carla’s Greens, Garlic, and Oil

2-4 Tbsp. of organic extra virgin olive oil
3-4 cloves of fresh garlic (either bruised for light garlic taste, sliced for perfect garlic taste, or minced for the ultimate!)
1 red onion, sliced thin
Fresh greens- collards, kale, broccoli rabe, spinach and broccoli etc…
Sea Salt
Fresh ground pepper
Red pepper flakes
Grated zest of a lemon
Freshly shaven Parmesan, or crumbled Feta

Put oil, garlic, and onion into deep saucepan/skillet. Heat to medium until onions begin to sizzle. Add the salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Saute for about 4 minutes until the onions are limp. Add the sliced or chopped veggies to the skillet (only slice/chop right before putting in skillet to avoid mineral loss and oxidation). Stir the greens into the garlic and onions, and add the lemon zest. Season to taste with the sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Saute until vegetables are deep green and slightly limp.

Plate this wonderful side dish on a warm platter, sprinkle with cheese if desired, a dash of fresh olive oil, and serve to your family… who are waiting at the table, drooling from the smell filling the house. Enjoy!


****************************************

I was thrilled to meet you in Doylestown a few weeks back. You are exactly what I thought you'd be like. Bright, energetic, and fun! I meant to ask you before the group parted where you got your necklace from. It's beautiful and I loved the descriptive words on it. If it's not too much trouble, would you send me a link or address from the company? - E. J. from Perkasie

Long story short... visit Lisa Leonard's website for the most gorgeous, fresh and funky, handmade jewelry.

Lisa is an awesome Christian...mom to two boys, and a creative genius when designing jewelry. I was introduced to Lisa because we both have the same hair. Truly... a friend sent me the link saying she found someone with hair as 'unique' as mine. I love that word... unique.

I fell in love with her, her designs, and the piece pictured above is the one I have. It states my goals... my path... my journey... right now:

EXPLORE ~ DARE ~ DISCOVER ~ GROW ~ BECOME


*********************************************

Is the possibility of being a Jew something that affected your study of the Lord's feasts? Is this what changed your celebrations like Easter? - Kate in MA

How did you begin your study of Torah?

I remember tuning in to a show on Sky Angel during the early 90's. The gentleman was explaining the signifigance of Yeshua's word and life and ministry and how it was ripe with Jewish customs and fulfilled Jewish laws and prophecy.

And then he began telling me a Christian love story. And how the Jewish bridegroom would come to take me away; to a home he had prepared for me.

That gentleman was Zola Levitt, now with YHVH, transformed into eternity. I miss him...

As I studied materials from Zola's ministry, as well as others, it revealed so much truth to my heart that sometimes it felt like I was going to burst! When you see for the first time, you dance with the brilliant rays of color that suddenly fill your eyes...

What I mean was I had been reading the Hebrew text, written by Hebrews, directed at the Hebrews, with Hellenistic (Greek) glasses on. Everything I read was interpreted through those glasses. Things were grey and muddled and misunderstood. Ideas and commands and true understanding were out of reach, at least in my teensy brain, until I studied Hebrew culture. It was like standing in the grove of the tallest trees, and realizing I was actually in the biggest forest. Awakening...

You might find a good jump start for the thinking process by reading and studying along with this college course.

I don't want to overwhelm anyone, so feel free to ask me for more information or links...

***************************************

I cannot wait until summer to make sun teas. Can you give me some recipes for good ones?

Please be sure to consume the tea within one day, no matter if herbs, teas, or a tisane. The bacteria that breeds in it, especially during warmer months, can make you deathly ill if you don't take care.

A good quick read can be found here...

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

I'm working on a class and ebook with tea recipes. Stay tuned for the recipes....

***************************************

More questions next time....



Shalom,

Carla Lynne

10 comments:

Connie Peterson said...

Thank you for all your lovely answers ... I am sure the people will be very happy with them. I love sun teas! I can make them in my sunny south window in the winter time, too!

Love you ..... Grandma

Regina Clare Jane said...

Thanks for a wonderful post today! I want so much to try the recipe out and I love the link to Lisa's jewelry site! I hope to get something soon!

The Barber Bunch said...

What a great Blog!!

I was talking to my husband the other day about RV ing Full Time when he retires! I think it would be so liberating!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all you share!! I was wondering if you make your "sun tea"...in the fridge without the sun...do you need to drink it so quickly as the one left in the sun? We far prefer the taste even of herbal tea when it has not been steeped.

Tracey, In Word Adorning said...

Carla, what a pleasure to find you in blogland. I developed an interest in the Hebrew traditions from Heart of Wisdom. How sad I am that American Church has taken away the real essence of Worship as God prescribed it, I commend you! I’ll be reading your blog regularly

beth@brew*crew said...

Carla!
It's always so good to hear from you, and feel somewhat *caught up*...although I know I'm still way behind...since this update was almost 4 months ago! Your journey sound exquisite. You sound wonderful, and there's just too much here to even respond to.
Joy indeed!
Baby's awake now, crying for me.
love & blessings~
Beth

Designer said...

I like your site!! I invite you to take a tour on my jewelry website, and if should more information is required. http://www.or-jewellery.com

Anita said...

Wondering if you've started a new blog elsewhere? I love what I've read here so far...

Christina said...

Hello Carla, Happy Thanksgiving, I pray all is well with you and yours-I miss your challenging posts.

Take Care,

Christina

Devil's Ivy Grower said...

This is an absolutely fantastic recipe. I can't wait to try it out!